Out Of Breath – Hectic July 26!

We all seem to insist on how busy, busy, busy we constantly are. Let’s put things in perspective: tell us about the craziest, busiest, most hectic day you’ve had in the past decade. – Daily Post


I can’t really pinpoint any day now, I think I’ve had a couple of them in the recent past. The one that almost got me out of breath is this one:-

Campaign for my school’s departmental presidential election has been in top gear… I had my ‘favourite’ candidate in mind. Of course I’ve made plans to be there on July 26 (election day) to vote for my favourite candidate. I’ve already envisioned ‘our’ victory.

On the other hand, I have a friend’s wedding to attend on the 27th of July. In between these two days, I have loads of school work to do (it was a weekend), I also have church service to attend – I’m a worker in the church. I chose to dedicate the night hours when I’m done with major daily activities to do my school works… Great plan! So I thought.

On the 25th of July, my friend who is about to wed contacted me to help her prepare ‘chin-chin’ (crunchy Nigerian snacks) for the wedding occasion to spice up the day. Not minding my money I would spend in making the chin-chin for a wedding occasion of over 100 guests, I realised immediately that I was going to have a hectic July 26.

I had to ulter my initial plans for the weekend which is more activities. I obviously can not delete any of the activities except to decline my friend’s request, but I wanted to prove to her how to make sacrifices for someone you call your friend…because she acts selfishly most of the time.

Election day – 26th July. Election time – time 9am.

6am – I received a call from my ‘favourite’ candidate requesting me to please endeavour to be at the election ground before 7 o’clock so as to enable his own people to be the first set to cast their votes. I was like, “huh! Isn’t the election time 9am? What would I be doing there from 7 to 9?” – that sounds ridiculous, won’t everybody there present get the chance to vote? But he pleaded as though his life depended on it.

8am – I got a call from my favourite candidate’s girlfriend telling me they would soon start voting. I had to hasten up with preparations. I thought it was a good one so I would cast my vote on time, rush down to the market to buy the ingredients needed for making the chin-chin.

9am – I arrived the election ground. Few persons were seen loitering about, some taking pictures, others were seen trying to persuade people to vote their ‘favourite’ candidate. I also saw some persons gathered in groups chatting away their time. The environment doesn’t look close to starting the election anytime soon.
I had to spend my time on something else at that moment – blogging!

11am – Electoral officials arrived with the election materials, began ushering the aspirants in… This took over 30mins to do. The voters were later addressed by the electoral chairman on how to conduct themselves during the election.

12noon or there about – voting started. Now, the confusion of who to stand first on the queue erupted. The supporters of both aspiring presidential candidates began fermenting all manners of trouble especially supporters of ‘not my favourite candidate’.

1:00pm – I still haven’t cast my vote. I was begining to get exhausted under the hot sun though under a tree shade. I kept on pusing through. I finally voted by 1:30pm. Hmmmmm! What a releif!

I immediately ran to the market already feeling exhausted, dehydrated, and hungry. I bought the ingredients, not without bargaining here and there for most of the items purchased.

3:15pm – I got to the house already feeling as light as a paper. Time was ticking fast…I quckly prepared something to eat then I went down the neighbourhood to beg a woman to please allow one of her daughters to help me out, she gave me the excuse that her children went for their school graduation party, and promised that they would come when return home…but they never came.

After resting for a while, I started sorting the items I bought. Then I noticed I didn’t buy granulated sugar and nutmeg…the major ingredients for chin-chin! I had to improvise by grinding the cubed sugar I had. (I put a call through to a friend cos I was anxious to hear the results of the election. I was informed that the election was not without irregularities, therefore my favourite candidate lost. This news demoralised me so much!).

Then, I started walking round and about the the neighbourhood searching for nugmeg, there was none to buy. I went further into the neighbouring streets, and was able to get the quantity I needed from 3 different shops at different rates.

5:20pm – I got back home, started mixing the ingredients, and prepared the dough. After that, I kneaded it thoroughly. Thanks to Faith my neighbour who was excited to help me in cutting the chin-chin (I didn’t have a machine cutter). After we had cut enough, she advised that I started frying while she continued with the cutting. This idea hastened up the process. Two heads are better than one of course.

By 8:30 the chin-chin was done! I cleared my kitchen, and hit the bed. I never had my night bath! It was really the ‘longest’ day ever.


Thank you so much for reading my post. I’d be happy to read your comments. See you in the next post!


Talk About This Post!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s